Saturday, June 14, 2014

Damn The Check Out Line

     I need to grow another head if I am going to continue to go to one of my local grocery stores. They have changed the position of the checker's monitor so that I can't see the items as they are priced. It has become a monumental hassle in an ordinary task. 

     Sounds trivial until you realize that at least every trip to this store, there are items priced incorrectly. No big deal ... until you consider A) the store is collecting revenue that is not theirs , or B) you are being over charged for sale prices, or C) It is a 60 mile round trip to return the item or request a refund. Then it becomes even more of an irritant. 

      The store, who shall remain nameless,has instituted a new policy of timing their cashiers for checking out an order. In order to make their "times" they are running the items as fast as they can down the belt. I am not so old and decrepit that I cannot get the items on the belt but I cannot now seem to get them there fast enough to beat it down to the monitor to make sure the correct prices are being charged. Therein lies the problem. As those who wish not to spend their entire inheritance at the grocery store know; you have to watch the prices being rung.  As well as making sure your coupons are being discounted or reduced price goods are actually being charged off as reduced price. Impossible with the new monitors and the rush of the cashiers. And watch the eyes roll when you ask for a price to be checked or the sale price to be honored. And when they have to go look up a price, well, it can be worth your life.  Because, it's inefficient and their efficiency rates may be dinged!  I am at the point where I now unload the cart at the cashier instead of at the beginning of the belt. 

     Sound like a Senior problem? Well, yes, but I have a 28 year old that is the same. As high has grocery prices have become, it behooves all of us to make sure we get what we are paying for, with as little error as possible. To that end I have been in constant contact with the store manager for a change in this system. I don't mind standing in line a little longer if I can feel that I am not being gouged in the interest of store profit.  But I do mind daring whip lash just to keep track of their sloppy pricing practices. And could I shop at another store? Yes but the other (large)store in town has misleading ads and the smaller store has 2nd rate produce...cheaper but you get what you pay for. Ah, the joys of small town living!

No comments:

Post a Comment