Monday, May 26, 2014

What Happened To Spelling and Grammar?



Today's thought on misspelling...


Why can't the kids nowadays spell anything correctly without spell check?  I have never seen so many incorrectly spelled (and used) words in my entire life. There are things like spell check and auto correct (new words generated at the slip of a finger) but we still have whole web pages filled with errors every time I turn on the computer or pick up a (gasp) newspaper.

And the grammar errors!  There is a world of errors in the use of the King's English that drive me up a wall.  Mrs. Southworth (may she rest in peace) is now in a 24 hour spin in her grave.  Had I attempted to get 1/4 of these errors past her in the 5th Grade, I would have spent my summer in school.

The advent of texting has lead to even more shortchanging when it comes to the beauty of the language. Archaic words are like rare orchids.  There are 20,000 words that are being removed from the dictionary every year, just to make room for colloquialisms and words that are currently "in vogue."  In whose "vogue?"
Certainly not mine, nor anyone else who has passed the 50 year milestone in life.

Words have become harsh with strident overtones and a staccato linguistic flow. Elocution used to be considered an art form. And the spelling!!! When they began teaching phonics in the school system there went the sight memorization of wordage. English is a most confusing language to learn either way. " Sounds like" and "spelled like" may be two entirely different things. I am totally offended by the inability of writers, bloggers , twitterers (is that even a word?) and the general public to effectively and correctly use the words their, there, they're and the like. I don't care to see truncated versions of easily spelled words, either.

Language is a beautiful thing, not to be wasted on bastardized context. There will be no capricious use of language in my presence -  "capricious" being the word of the day.



2 comments:

  1. Capricious indeed. Aha! there in the shadows lurks a capricious grammar troll, whispering, "drives" (agreement with the subject of the clause, world). But hey Grandma MosesK this is a riotous rollicking inaugural. Seventeen kudos for the conditional "had I attempted" to begin a sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot! Spell check saves my life. I think faster than I can spell and just have to get it all down on the page!

    ReplyDelete